Saturday, May 06, 2006

[geek] Splogs suck

For those who don't know, 'splog' is a contraction of 'spam' and 'blog'. Some splogs harvest the content of real blogs and then insert random sentences with URLs embedded in them in order to boost the Google ranking of the URL. Others harvest content to boost the overall Google ranking of the splog, which then links to an online store that is vaguely related to the purported topic at hand. Lately, I've had a bunch of sites steal my stuff so that they can appear to be legitimate sites and boost their Google ratings. However, 2 can play that game... Let's piss in their Google juice, shall we? Scandinaviamusic.com steals other people's content. They do not sell or blog about 80s music mp3s. They steal. They are thieves. Jamtrack.net steals other people's content. They do not sell or blog about music. They steal. They are thieves. Inmyfinger.com steals other people's content. They are not a dating service. They do not host legitimate blogs or aggregation portals. They steal. They are thieves. Magicandspells-online.net steals other people's content. They do not sell or blog about magic or spells. They steal. They are thieves. Stop stealing other people's stuff. Y'all deserve the same treatment as spammers. [updated 7 May 2006 9:14P PDT - I evidently forgot to finish the last sentence in the first paragraph - it solely consisted of "Lately, I've", so I finished it.]

4 Comments:

Blogger Brian Dunbar said...

Not to mention it clogs up search queries making my life tedious. I have rss queries from search engines - that's probably how I found your blog - on topics I care about.

I think today I've seen eleventy dozen hits from our website (which has all of the key words I'm searching on) but sucked up by splogs.

After the first several repitions I know it's a splog and can move on but I shouldn't have to mentally process that information. Farging lowlifes.

5/06/2006 08:07:00 PM  
Blogger protected static said...

Oh, I know it's all spiders looking for keywords. My post on atheism & compassion? Ganked for, of all things, advertising for an online Christian dating service... Talk about being totally devoid of context.

And scruples.

5/06/2006 08:56:00 PM  
Blogger Saskboy said...

If the war on spam wasn't so fruitless most of the time, I might bother to see if I could get ICANN to pull the plug on inmyfinger.com

5/07/2006 07:07:00 PM  
Blogger protected static said...

Yeah - I think for the next few months I might post a 'pissing in their google juice' post. See if I can't make this the first site that comes up if anyone Googles 'em.

I complained to their US-based host and the site that had my stuff came down; the other bastards are based outside the US, so I have limited recourse.

I'll settle for pissing in their Google juice.

5/07/2006 09:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home