Wednesday, April 27, 2005

[geek][politics] All Microsoft, all the time

At the risk of becoming a Microsoft-only site, I would like to point out that the fallout continues... I first noticed this on WashBlog, who in turn got it from AMERICABlog (as promised - keep up the good work, John): Microsoft has been in bed with Ralph Reed (again) to the tune of 20K USD/month. Twenty thousand bucks. Per month. Kinda odd that they'd be consulting someone who lobbies around "family issues" (which is really right-wing bigot-speak for "attacking queers, feminists, liberals, and anyone else who stands in the way of our theocratic politics"), and not corporate regulation or taxation or employment. So odd, in fact, that the technical press is picking up on it - first CNet, then ZDNet published the same article. Bill, I know this isn't your style - Steve, I don't know. I understand Microsoft's support of the GOP from a purely pragmatic view - monopolistic practices, regulation, taxation and all that. I don't agree with it, but I understand why you'd align yourself with the pseudo-free-marketeers of the Republican Party. But why they'd choose to be in bed with the far Right, the Dominionist wing of the GOP, is still a mystery to me. Wake up, guys - part of what makes Seattle such a great place to be is the tolerant atmosphere. You were a large part in the creation of that atmosphere - don't fuck it up. How many educated, cosmopolitan, skilled workers are you going to attract to a rigid theocratic state?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home