Thursday, April 21, 2005

[politics] Friends and allies

Someone on Daily Kos rightly pointed out that some Senators who voted 'yea' on the ill-fated anti-discrimination bill HB 1515 did so at great peril to their political futures. One such Senator is Marilyn Rasmussen (D-2), a Democrat representing a very rural district. Here's the email I sent her this evening.
Sen. Rasmussen -- Thank you for your 'yea' vote on HB 1515. It is easy for Seattle liberals to forget that the legislative world does not revolve around us; it is easy for us to forget that there are other Democrats out there beyond the 'safe' borders of King County. I moved to Seattle in part because of its safety - I'm bisexual, and when my family was looking at career options, Washington State was high on our list because of the safety represented by the Seattle area. HB 1515 would have, in some small measure, extended that bubble of safety... I grew up in a rural area, and I know that you will be taking heat for your decision. This vote will be difficult to 'sell' to many of your constituents. Should you decide to run for re-election, please add me to your list of potential donors: hard decisions such as yours are greatly appreciated. Thank you again.
She (and others like her) deserve our support.

1 Comments:

Blogger Carnacki said...

Good email to her. It's all in how the issue is framed apparently. If she presents it as a civil rights issue, she should be fine. I'll keep my fingers crossed. We need good representatives willing to stand on principle.

4/25/2005 12:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home