Sunday, March 19, 2006

[random] I belong to the ... generation

While driving to the destination of today's Fresh Air Outing, Compulsory, The Boy asked me to put on some music. "What do you want?" "I don't know; something you like." Hm... Opportunity knocks. Emboldened by my earlier successes, I figured this might be a great time to see where the limits of The Boy's musical perimiters were. Time for reconaissance by fire, dropping artillery about a general area until a you discover something interesting. I figured that as long as we were probing, we might as well go long - Einstürzende Neubauten, it was! "Whaddaya think?" "Too strange." Whoops... Jeez - and I even started off with Feurio! instead of Prolog. Oh well. Next up? Richard Hell and the Voidoids! "Whaddaya think? Too strange?" "No, I like it - turn it up." Hah! Fire for effect! Next outing I'm thinking maybe some Joy Division... or maybe The Clash... or perhaps...

5 Comments:

Blogger Brian Dunbar said...

or perhaps...

Meatloaf - 'Bat out of Hell'.

Lou Reed - 'New York'. Warning - lyrics may be questionable.

3/19/2006 10:28:00 PM  
Blogger protected static said...

Warning - lyrics may be questionable.

Yeah - what with The Boy being not quite six, lyrics are of, um, high importance...

'And the colored girls go doop-de-doop-doop-de-doop-doop...'

3/19/2006 10:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Based on what The Boy went for in the past, I'm guessing both Joy Division and The Clash will be winners.

At our house, X has proved to be both an unexpected hit with my 4-year-old, and a challenge for me. Should I really let her listen to "We're Desperate"? The Cocteau Twins aren't "bouncy" enough for her, so that was a huge flop. Good bedtime music though.

3/20/2006 08:24:00 AM  
Blogger protected static said...

I thought we had a shot at Neubauten - he really liked Hedningarna, which I can only characterize as Viking folk songs on acid - with guitars and the occasional power tool...

As for We're Desperate, how attuned is Big Girl to the lyrics? 'Coz The Boy, he doesn't miss a thing... I skipped Love Comes in Spurts for that very reason - it's catchy enough that I could easily picture him loudly belting that one out on the playground...

3/20/2006 10:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes. She listens to the lyrics well enough to sing along. "White Girl" - pretty funny. "We're Desperate" - arguably funny, but could start a war with Evil Dad. I can see how "Love Comes in Spurts" could be a problem too.

3/20/2006 11:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home